|Your cart is currently empty|
Dual Side-bag Carrying System. Fourth generation BackTpack for children and adults. Dual side-bag carrying system that conforms to the natural body structure to train good posture. Unlike conventional backpacks or messenger bags BackTpack is an ergonomic bag that reduces pain, trains posture and encourages a healthy lifestyle.
One size fits most shoulder and hip widths.
State-of-the-art crinkle nylon fabric
Padded bottoms and side panels against your body for durability and comfort
Briefcase handles for easy carrying by hand, with snap fasteners for holding handles together
Heavy duty construction; bounce tested with 50-pound load for 48 hours
Cell phone pocket on outside
Pen pockets inside each compartment
Large zippered pocket inside each compartment (9)
Large open-topped pockets against body (1)
Small outside zippered pockets on the right and left (4)
One bottle holder on outside (6)
Magnet and snap closures
Inside loops for securing hydration packs (9)
Padded for comfort
Secured in place by an adjustable sternum strap, so they never fall off your shoulders
This unique feature is essential for spinal health. When you sit or squat while wearing the bag, the LAP-STRAP immediately transfers the weight of the bags off the shoulders and spine and onto the thighs without having to remove the shoulder straps. This prevents unhealthy load-bearing through a flexed (rounded) spine.
Allows bags to remain accessible at your sides if you choose to remove shoulder straps while seated
Takes the weight of the bag off of your spine and shoulders if/when you need to do so for comfort or because of injury
IMPORTANT! Use of the hip-loading belt reduces the posture training effect of the BackTpack carrying system
Locking system for desired hip width (2)
Hang loop for storage on a hook
Weight: 2.3 lbs
Dimensions: 17 x 13 x 2 in
Fit: Fits kids and adults from 4'0" (120 cm) and up.
Bag size: 14 x 13 x 3.5 in. (36 x 33 x 8.9 cm)
Max. laptop width that fits: 15 in. wide, (38 cm)
Volume capacity: 637 cu.in (10.4 Liters) per side bag, 1274 cu.in (20.9 L) total
Weight: 2.1 lb (953 g)
Colour: Black / Khaki (40) Khaki is interior only
BackTpack is a therapeutic system, designed by a physical therapist to improve habits of posture and body mechanics. This requires changing ingrained habits. BackTpack must be fit correctly and its unique features understood for proper function and benefit. The goal is to have your best posture, especially when carrying a load. BackTpack will not do it for you but will allow and facilitate this optimal posture.
1) ADJUST FIT WITHOUT LOAD Adjust Shoulder Straps (f) so that tops of bags are near elbows. Bags should hang straight and loosely at sides. Adjust desired hip width using the Adjuster (e-1) at back of the Hip-Loading Belt (e). Do this by tipping the Adjuster to 90 degrees from webbing and slide Hip-Loading Belt to the desired position.
2) LOAD bags evenly with flat items, similar to the weight you are accustomed to carrying. Now try the bag on with a load in order to experience its benefits.
3) PUT ON as a vest, with embroidered label on the outside of the back panel. If heavily loaded, start in the sitting position and put on one shoulder strap at a time. Make sure that the straps are not twisted. Stand as tall as possible, heart high, head high, making the body like a tall “T”, shoulders relaxed. Adjust and fasten Sternal Strap (c) at upper- to mid-chest.
4) STAND AND ADJUST STRAPS so they are even, with tops of the bags near elbows so you can get into them easily. If the contents are bulky you can use bag as an armrest, hands comfortably gripping shoulder straps. Fasten Lap Strap (d) loosely. This IS NOT a hip-loading belt. The Lap Strap is for load transfer onto thighs when sitting in an armless chair or when squatting to pick something up, etc. If you wish to use the Hip-Loading Belt (e), adjust for your size at its Front Buckle (e-2).
5) FINAL FITTING Sit in an armless chair with the bags on either side of the chair, Lap Strap (d) loosely fastened so that bags hang to sides for access. (Hip-Loading Belt not fastened) While sitting tall and shoulder straps on, make sure all the weight has transferred onto Lap Strap across lap. If the weight of the bag has not fully transferred from shoulders to the thighs while sitting tall in this armless chair, lengthen the Shoulder Straps (f) until you feel all the weight onto your lap without a lot of slack in the shoulder straps. This is the correct length. Next unbuckle the Lap Strap and see why it is such an important feature for sitting in an armless chair! Fasten the Lap Strap again and remove the shoulder straps to experience the freedom and convenience of being able to access contents while sitting, and without spinal loading. This unloading system in sitting is an extremely important health feature of BackTpack... Be sure to put the shoulder straps back on again before getting up!!
6) HIP-LOADING BELT (e) If you have pain with any loading, spinal deformity, recent injury or surgery, or are planning to carry a heavy load for long distance, we recommend the Hip- Loading Belt. Fit the belt at the Front Buckle (e-2) to your waist or where you are most comfortable. Then fasten the Hip-Loading Belt to take some or all of the weight from shoulders and spine. The Hip-Loading Belt should not be used with prolonged sitting due to abdominal compression. Use the Lap Strap (d) when sitting. The Hip-Loading Belt may be stowed away when not in use.
Why the BackTack?
Unlike backpacks or messenger bags, BackTpack, with its balanced side bags, applies the load to the body’s vertical axis, thereby eliminating posture distortion and decreasing the effort required to carry the load, in obedience to the laws of physics. The load feels lighter and you stand straighter.
When we support a weight, we have a new center of gravity -- the combination of our body's center of gravity plus the center of gravity of the weight we are supporting. When what we carry is balanced left-right or front-back, or is on top of the head, its center of gravity aligns vertically with ours.
However, if the weight is off-axis (in front, to one side, or behind), we must lean away from the load to keep our new center of gravity over our feet so that we don't fall. Posture must change to accommodate the bag we carry, and the heavier the load, the more we must lean.
The force applied to support the load must go through the center of gravity of the load. So again, when the load is balanced, or on our head, the supporting force is simply equal to the weight we carry, and in the opposite direction: straight up!
When the weight is off-axis, we must pull in a direction such that the direction of the pull goes through the center of gravity of the load. This introduces a horizontal component to the force, which is added to the weight, meaning that more force is required. Put another way, a heavy backpack requires you to lean forward and pull forward with your shoulders. This is why you see hunched shoulders and forward heads with backpack use. With the same load in a BackTpack, you eliminate the forward pull.
It is also the reason that people say, "The load feels lighter!" when they try on a BackTpack loaded with the contents of their conventional backpack.
This product is amazing! I have been looking for something like this since I became a white cane user over four years ago. As a blind/visually impaired person, our hands are already occupied with our guide dog and/or white cane. We have to bend a lot to care for our dogs who are our eyes as well as use our hands to “see” things. A purse or traditional backpacks are such a hazard for your back and at greater risk of theft. They are also a nuisance, sliding off your shoulder when you bend over. To be able to carry all you need at your sides and bend and stretch in active ways while being safe and convenient is priceless. Carrying toys, treats, and water for my dog…while also carrying my wallet, iPad, iPhone, keys, spare hat/shades and water for me…no longer a hassle with BackTpack. I am truly amazed and thrilled with this product.
“As parents, we wanted to try the BackTpack out for ourselves to see why our child chose the BackTpack over her standard style cartoon back pack and so we loaded it up and went out for a walk. We discovered the posture, comfort and balance she found in wearing it was in fact as fantastic as she said. We could now see using the BackTpack not only for her school but for us too at work, doctor visits, park time with our kids or pets, mall shopping, hiking, camping, events, amusement parks, flea market shopping, farmers markets, vacations, tailgating events, and even for quick bagless grocery shopping!”
~ The Avery-Perich Family ~
Thank you Sarah. So glad your daughter is feeling much better with BackTpack, and that you have experienced it too. We really appreciate your feedback!
I have used traditional backpacks my whole life. As a 24 year old, I started to become more aware of the need to protect my body from the negative effects associated with bad posture brought on from backpacks which hurt my shoulders and cause my back to hurt. After much research, I found the BackTpack, and I was amazed by the design. I have stopped using traditional backpacks altogether and have used the BackTpack on a daily basis. The design is incredible and really helps me carry my things in a much more natural fashion. Its such a versatile product, and it is a wonderful product that has really helped my shoulders and my back feel free from pain associated with regular backpacks in the marketplace. If your looking for a truly unique backpack that is actually good for your back and shoulders, this is it!
Thank you Fernando. That is all wonderful to hear. So glad that you are free of pain!
As a physical therapist with a specialty in ergonomics, I was quite excited to read about the BackTpack and all of the thought and effort that went in to designing such a ‘body-friendly’ product. It did not disappoint. Extremely well made, highly adjustable and so many compartments I need to come up with a system to remind me where I stored everything (much preferable to digging through one big pocket, though!) I am able to walk from one appointment to the next with the weight of all of my equipment evenly distributed across my back and shoulders with my hands free. My physical and occupational therapist co-workers were also quite impressed and immediately began thinking of their patients (and their own children) who could benefit from the BackTpack.
Wonderful news. Thank you Pam.